What I do

This Blog discusses my journey as a local bassist. I talk about all things bass, gigs, writing and recording, gear, and the perpetual search for that "tone."


Navigation

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Current Basses

Talk to any bass player and given enough time the conversation turns to the basses they have in their stable.  Most bassists I know have at least one back up bass and many have more than that.  Being a weekend warrior I have a difficult time justifying owning a lot of basses although I do own two at the moment.

I own two nearly identical ESP-LTD B5E's purchased about two years apart.  As referenced in an earlier post I made the move from four string to five strings to accommodate the lower tunings of the band I was in at the time.  I did not have any interest in going back and fourth between the two tunings and so I made the decision to stick with the five string bass.  Over time I sold off my four string basses to good homes and had just the ESP-LTD B5E.

I was (and still am) playing in a prog/hard rock band with my best friend for several years and had always had the thought in the back of my mind that it would be a good plan to have an identical back up bass "just in case."  Just recently I joined a second band that is tuned to C standard rather than B standard.  I had a strong aversion to tuning a bass up and down for each time I played with either of the bands.  Add to that the intonation nightmare that would have been sure to ensue and the addition of a second identical bass to my stable seemed justified.



So now I have one bass tuned to B standard and a second identical bass tuned to C standard.  It may seem a bit far-fetched to some but it works for me and I like it.  I still need to get another case because it looks like my two bands will be gigging together soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment