What I do

This Blog discusses my journey as a local bassist. I talk about all things bass, gigs, writing and recording, gear, and the perpetual search for that "tone."


Navigation

Saturday, April 20, 2019

Thumb Rest Update

A few months ago I made a set of thumb rests for my bass and wrote about it here.  I have had some time to try them out both at rehearsals and individual practice as well as at s few gigs. There are aspects of them that I like and a few things that I would like to change or modify about them.

For starters I like having a consistent anchor point all along the area between the bridge and the end of the fret board.  I believe this has helped both with consistency of attack on the B string as well as reduced fatigue and stress  particularly when navigating an intense passage.

On the other hand, and this is not so bad as to make me remove the thumb rests, I do find that my fingers sometimes strike through the string and hit the thumb rest.  I have also noticed that I am more comfortable with my thumb just a little further away from the B string than the current thumb rests allow.

I made a new thumb rest and tried it out for a few minutes but realized right away that it placed my thumb to far away from the B string.



So here is the new thumb rest.  I will try it out for awhile and report back.  I know it looks crude but if it works then I will make a new one that is better designed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment